Monday, October 17, 2011

New Scarlet Spider!

One of the things shown off this past weekend at the New York Comic Con was promo shots of the upcoming Scarlet Spider series.


I've been a big Scarlet Spider fan for years. Something about the drifting spider-clone that found he had no choice but to continue as a hero despite everything, really spoke to me. I even felt satisfied that he died a proper heroic death.

And he has fashion sense. The plain red body suit with the blue hoodie was a great contrast to the classic costume. Even when Ben Reilly became Spider-Man, I felt like he had a nice update.

Years later, Tony Stark built Spider-Man a tech costume, which was eventually given to a 3 man stealth team, affectionately referred to as the Scarlet Spiders. This team was also a set of clones, but of a perfect physical specimen name Michael Van Patrick, who was killed in a training incident. A costume I already liked was made even more awesome by tying it back to Scarlet Spider.

So far we haven't seen the full costume on this new Scarlet Spider. It looks kinda cool, but I don't know if it really pulls off a "Scarlet Spider" vibe as well as the Iron Spider costume did.

I think the characterization will go a long way to making up my mind as well. In the few shots we have seen so far, he looks a bit sinister, which would go against the spirit of what I feel Scarlet Spider represented.

I dropped Spider-Man comics shortly after Mephisto rewrote history, but this may bring me back into the fold, especially in the coming weeks as we get more information on this new Scarlet Spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment